LARGE CENTRE SQUARE.. (make 1)
1) Ch4, then do 15 tr in 4th ch from hook (the 1st chain you made) = 16 tr Slsttj
2) ch4 (=1tr +1ch) , 1tr 1ch in every tr around, slsttj. (16 tr +16 ch).
3)Slst into the next ch-sp, Ch4 =1tr + 1 ch, 1 tr in same place (v-st), then do 1 v-st (1 tr 1 ch 1tr) in each ch-sp around (16 v-sts). slsttj
4) Slst in to the next ch-sp, *ch6, 1dc in same space to form a 6-ch loop, 1dc bewteen the next 2 posts, 1 dc in next ch-sp, 1 dc between next posts, 1 dc in next ch-sp, rep from * all the way round to form 8 x 6-ch loops. slst in the 1st dc.
5) * Do (5 tr 2 ch 5 tr ) in each 6-ch loop , miss 1 dc, 1 dc in each of the next 3 dcs , repeat from * slsttj. 8 petals worked
|5 trebles, 2 chains in the 6-ch loop|
|miss 1 dc then do 1 dc in each of the next 3 dcs|
6)* ch3, now working behind the petals, dc in the next v-st ch-sp ( by putting your hook from the back to the front through the ch-sp and complete the dc) , ch3, 1dc in 2nd (middle) dc of the 3 dcs on round below, repeat from * all the way round finishing with a slsttj at bottom of the 1st ch-3.
|this shows the ch-spcs from the back|
7) Still working behind the petals, do *ch6, slst at bottom of chain, 3 dc in next 3-ch sp, 1dc in next dc, 3 dc in next 3-ch sp, dc in next dc, rep from * finishing with a slsttj to bottom of first ch6. (8 x 6-ch loops worked
8) *5tr2ch5tr in next 6-ch loop , 1dc in next dc ( be careful not to miss the 'hidden' one), miss 3 dc, 1dc in next dc, miss 3dc, 1 dc in next dc, rep from * to end, slsttj (8 more petals worked)
9) Working behind the petals, *ch3, dc in centre of next petal, ch3, dc in next dc lying between the next 2 petals, rep from * to end, slsttj ( 16 3-ch spaces made)
10) *In the next 3-ch sp work (1dc, 2htr. 2tr, 3dbtr, ch2) , in the next 3-ch sp work (3dbtr, 2tr, 2htr,1dc), rep from * to end, slsttj (8 petals worked)
|1dc, 2htr,3tr,3 dbtr, ch2|
11) Working behind the petals, * Ch8, 1 bpdc (back post dc) around the dc from round 8 lying between the next 2 petals, ch6, 1 bpdc around the dc from round 8 lying between the next2 petals, rep from * to end, slsttj. (4 x 8-ch sp, 4 x 6-ch sp).
|dc around the dc from rounnd 8, lying between the next 2 petals|
12) Slip stitch in to the next 8-ch sp, ch4 (=1dbtr), 3 dbtr, 2 ch, 4 dbtr (corner made), * 1 tr in next dc (between the petals), 5 tr in next 6-ch sp, 1 tr in next dc (between the petals), 4dbtr 2 ch 4 dbtr in next 8-ch sp, rep from * to end finishing with the last tr in the last dc ans slsttj to top of 1st ch4. Squared off.
13) In this row we are going to catch up all the petals formed so that they lay flat.
Ch3 (=1tr), 1 tr in each of the next 3 sts, then 1dbtr down in the middle of the next petal from the 1st round of petals and catch it up, then working in the corner space work *3tr, 2 ch, now work a dbtr all the way down to the 2nd and 3rd rows of petals below and work it through the centre ch-sps to catch them both . Now finish the corner with 3tr. Now do 1 tr in each of the next 5 sts( don't forget the 'hidden' stitch) then do 1dbtr all the way down to the 1st round of petals and catch this petal up,then continue to work 1 tr in to each of the next 5 sts. 1dbtr down to catch y up both of the next 2 petals from the 2nd and 3rd rows of petals, 1 tr in each of the next 5 sts, 1 dbtr down to catch up the next petal from the 1st petal round then repeat from * all the way round to complete the square finishing with 1 tr in last st, Slsttj to top of 1st ch3.
14) ch4, 1 tr in same place (= begin v-st), miss 2 sts, v-st in next st (1tr1ch1tr), miss 2 sts, 1 v-st in next st, * now work 3 tr in the corner space before the dbtr, 2 ch , 3 tr in the corner space after the dbtr, miss 2 sts, v-st in next st, [miss 2 sts v-st in next st] 6 times rep from * all the way around, slsttj. (7 v-sts on each side)
15) slip stitch into the next v-st sp, begin popcorn : ch4 , 4 tr in same place , remove hook and replace in top of ch4 then back through the last loop left, yo pull through = begin popcorn made. Ch4, miss next v-st, complete a 5 tr popcorn in next v-st , ch4, do **3tr 2 ch 3 tr in next corner space, ch4, *popcorn in next v-st, ch4, miss next v-st, rep from * 3 more times ( 4 popcorns made along the side), repeat the corner then repeat from * all the way round ending with a slst in the top of the 1st popcorn. (4 popcorns on each side).
16) ch3 =1tr, 1 tr in top of next popcorn, do 3 tr in next 3-ch sp, 1tr in top of next popcorn, 3 tr in next 3-ch sp, *1 tr in each of the next 3 trs, 3tr 2ch 3 tr in next corner space, 1 tr in each of the next 3 trs, (3 tr next 3-ch sp, 1 tr in top of next popcorn ) 5 times then repeat from * to the end finishing with 2 trs in last 3-ch sp then slst to join to top of ch3 .
18) Ch4 (=1tr +1ch) , * miss 1 st, 1 tr 1 ch in next st, rep from * along the sides, doing 2 tr 2ch 2tr in each corner
19) Ch3, now work 2 trs in every ch sp and 3tr 2ch 3 tr in each corner as well as doing 2 trs before the corner trs on every side.
20) Ch3, 1 tr in every tr and 2tr 2ch 2tr in corners
21) ch3, miss 1 st, 1 dc in next st, ch2, rep from * doing 2dc1ch1dc in each corner. slsltj
22) Do not do this round too tight .Ch2, * 1dc in next ch-sp, ch1, rep from * doing 2dc 1ch 2dc in each corner..
23) OPTIONAL SURFACE CROCHET
I thought that the inner circle looked a bit plain next to all those petals so decide to jazz it up a bit using surface crochet. I wound my ball on to a contrasting bit of colour to the centre of the square then began by putting the hook under one of the posts on round 2.
Now simply slip stitch around going under every post.
When you get all the way round slip st up to the next round and repeat under the next round of trebles.
That's it, finished the main centre square...hope you like it!